Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Baby Blues=Postpartum

I wanted to talk about Antidepressants and make sure that we as mothers are getting the help that we all need. I feel that we ask to much of ourselves, but then feel it is wrong to be on any medication. There is nothing wrong with being on medication to help you to feel happy, so you can enjoy being a mom and enjoy life. One of my best friends is on two different kinds of depressions medicines because that is what helps her to make it through her days.
There are two kinds of antidepressants that are not good to be on while nursing. They are: Prozac and St. John's Wort. St. John's Wort is an inhibitor that can cause some serious side effects such as, seizures, gastrointestinal irritations, fatigue. Some better antidepressants are Zoloft and Paxil. Both drugs leak only small amounts in to the breast milk. Please talk to your doctor if you need to and get some help. The doctors with know what will be best for you. We all have great people around us, so we need to make sure that we ask for help when needed. They are always willing to help in any way.
I only had the blues/postpartum with my first baby for maybe the first month. I connected with her so much and I was truly in love with her. We had a first hard month, but I had alot of great help and I was able to make sure that I got some alone time. With my second child it was really different. I didn't connect with him like I did my daughter. He wasn't any harder then she was, but I didn't have the passion I had for my daughter that I thought I would. The only thing I wanted to do was to nurse and feed him, I didn't want to hold him much and be around him much. It really scared me because I started wondering if I would ever develop a relationship and a bond with him. I know for sure that I had alot more postpartum and held on to it longer the second time around. Then he got RSV and ended up in the hospital when he was six weeks old. We layed together in the same bed with tubes coming out of his little body for three days, and I know from that time on that I loved him more than anything. And now we can not get enough of each other and he is a joy to be around.
I will always remember when first baby was about two weeks old, my sister-in-law came over and told me to go out for a while and do what ever I wanted. I had just nursed the baby, but I so nervous about leaving her. But I also knew that I really needed to get out. I hadn't left the house for two weeks and so it was going to be good for me. I don't remember even buying anything, but I do remember just walking around Target and relaxing. I tell you this because, being a mom it hard and we all need help. We all have great people around us to help relieve some stress and emotions. So let them help us and make being a mother more enjoyable and less stressful.

No comments: