Thursday, June 18, 2009

Raising Dough

I got up this morning at 5:oo, when my husband left to work and decided I would make some Pecan Rolls. I found this little cookbook at a yard sale with tons of wonderful bread and roll recipes. So, hopefully the dough will raise and they will be yummy. I'll let you know.
One of the inspiring books I have read and enjoyed recently is "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz. On page 20 it says," In your whole life noboby has ever abused you more than you have abused yourself. And the limit of your self-abuse is exactly the limit that you will tolerate from someone else. If someone abuses you a little more than you abuse yourself, you will probably walk away from that person. But if someone abuses you a little less than you abuse yourself, you will probably stay in the relationship and tolerate it endlessly. The more self-love we have, the less we will experience self-abuse."
Why do you think we have such a hard time loving ourselves? Because we were told by our parents and teachers that we weren't measuring up to their expectations. Each child needs to grow up with a healthy self-love and self-esteem and not quite so many rules and regulations. Children gain self-esteem by learning that they are valued members of their family. Learning to pick up their rooms, fold their clothes and put them away, and eventually doing the dishes and mopping the kitchen floor as they get older. You can't talk your child into having self-esteem. It is something that has to be earned by them.
I read a book when my kids were little that said, " If it is not hurting him or anyone else, then don't make a fuss." Sometimes we get in such a habit of having to say something to everything our kids do. This is why they learn to tune us out. And they are hearing our constant disapproval of them. Constant disapproval of their sweet spirits. We should give 95% positive messages each day to 5% negative. Take a count one day and see if you are giving out the love you want returned. They are going to grow up to be awesome people. I just know they are. I used to lie awake at night worrying about my kids. One night I realized I had forgotten to feed my youngest,who was 3, lunch that day! How can you be a worse mother than that? She ended up being 6'1''ft tall, so I guess a skipped meal didn't hurt her to much after all! Love yourselves. Before we can love anyone else, we need to give ourselves some approval and love.
Yey, My Pecan Rolls are rising, raising, have risen! Let's eat!

No comments: