Sunday, June 14, 2009

On Being Me

Over the last few day, I have been thinking about what I wanted to say in my very first entry on our blog. I want to thank my sweet LeAnna for asking me to be a part of her blog. She has been very understanding with me and my adjustment to my empty nest. And I say- my empty nest -because it doesn't seem to have affected my husband much, having the last child move out and be on her own. He has been just as patient with me. I think he is just waiting, knowing I will someday stop moping around. Someday I will stop thinking I have to be busy every second. Going to my sewing room to find another project to throw myself into. Calling my sisters, just to have someone to talk to. And I am waiting too. But right now I don't know if the loneliness will ever go away. I was a mother for 35 years. There was always a game to go to. A dance recital coming up or a wedding to plan. I miss the noise, the food, the laughter, my son and his constant teasing. I'm not a person who plans too far into the future. I just let each day take care of itself, and so I never prepared myself for this time when my children would go into their own lives and live their lives so successfully as not to have any need of a mother to nag them into eternity. And for that I am very grateful.
Now it is my turn. And I don't have the slightest clue how to proceed. But I am determined to find my way. Over the last 2 years I have had time to read so many wonderful books. They have inspired me to want to live a life full of meaning. When you get to be my age, I know 57 seems ancient to any one under 40, you start to think about your relationship with God and I for one, want to have a daily walk with Him. I now relish my quiet time with Him, all the while missing my old life. So you see, I am making progress.
I'll never forget the birth of my first baby, Lillie. I was 20. I got married in Feb. and had Lillie in Dec. of the same year. It wasn't a hard delivery, only 5 hrs., but the doctor had to use forceps, so after 5 hrs, both baby and I felt like we had been run over by a Mac Truck. When I was settled in my room, they brought my baby to me and I was able to nurse her. I was overcome by how beautiful she was and how tiny, at 7 lbs 4 oz. In those days there was no rooming-in so they came and took Lillie back to the nursery for the night. In the middle of the night I woke up startled. I could hear a baby crying from way down the hall. A loud scared cry. I pulled my poor aching pelvis out of bed and limped down the hall to the nursery. The nurse holding the screaming bundle ask me if I was the mother of this baby and I said yes. Well , this baby really wants her Mommy. I settled, very slowly, into a rocking chair there in the nursery and she gently handed me my baby. I opened my nightgown and she recognized my smell. She quieted and whimpered alittle. Then she nursed and sighed and settled into my arms. She opened her eyes and looked up a me and we were in love. I knew then that I could be a mother.How did I know that was my baby crying? I don't know, I just knew. A mothers instinct, I guess. Another one of God' Sweetest Gifts.

No comments: